Wednesday 17 June 2009

The Wicky Wicky Wild Wild... West End ...

Got up today and got my emails cleared early so could head out. I had had my deep thoughtful day yesterday so just wanted to get out there amongst the world before heading to Cadogan Street for job hunting.

Camera. Check. Walking boots. Check. Waterproof jacket. Check.

Yes it was raining in Glasgow again "The Day". More umbrellas in Buchanan Street than even Rihanna could sing about.
So decided once again to jump into my trusty Tardis....

But this time landed at Great Western Road at the end of Byres Road.
Byres Road was my target. Now this is not my neck of the woods. I've never lived in the West End and I didn't go to Glasgow University, I graduated from Paisley.
Though when I saw this headline in the paper today...

... I thought they had finally found out after all these years that there was no way I could have passed my final exams!!! Turned out it wasn't me!! Phew!! :)

Anyway ... as I said Byres Road was not one of my old hangouts. Although I've been in Byres Road many times, I've never had the time for a good wander about. So today was actually a bit of a voyage of discovery for me as well. If people who know Byres Road well think I've missed something significant then please get in touch, send an email, leave a comment. Byres Road is a cool place and will happily go back another day to fill in the gaps.
For those who don't know Byres Road is one the main roads in West End of Glasgow. It's close to Glasgow University and this means it is very popular with students. This has given it a disctintive feel about it. There are lots of cool wee shops, coffee houses, restaurants and bars. Tried to show some of this and maybe some other little corners not normally shown. Here is my attempt at Byres Road "The Day"...



After stepping out the Tardis at the Great Western Road the main thing you see it the impossing Oran Mor. This used to be Kelvinside Parish Church but was refurbished in 2004 as a bar, restaurant, nightclub and venue. Really is a beautiful building and a great setting. Been to one gig in here and it was a great night.


I loved the mosaic entrance to Oran Mor depicting a highland reel. Just one of the lovely details about the building.


Travelling down Byres Road this was the next building to catch my eye. The Salon Restaurant on Vinicombe Street. This was originally the Hillhead Salon cinema opened in 1913. It operated as a cinema until 1992. It was refurbished as a restaurant in 1999.
http://www.scottishcinemas.org.uk/glasgow/hillheadsalon/



As I was taking photos of the Salon this mural down Burgh Lane caught my eye. Tried to stitch a few photos together to show you the scale of it. It is a lovely piece of urban art. Anyone know anything about it and how it got here ? And wish they would move the bins so you can see it in it's full glory!!

This is just a little close up of it that I think if it was made into a T-shirt would make a fortune amongst the students!!!


Coming out of Burgh Lane back on Byres Road popped into the Hillhead Library. They have a few events going on here at the moment as the West End Festival is currently in full swing. I actually came to see this small exhibition called Heroes and Heroines. It just a series of photos and stories about people who have stood up against oppression. Each one an amazing story of bravery. Humbling.

Coming out of the Library and crossing the road I was drawn up Observatory Road by the sight of Kelvinside Hillhead Parish Church. A beautiful church in a beautiful setting.

This is a picture of one of the gardens in the houses around the church. I have been amazed over the few weeks I have been doing this blog how many lovely gardens I have found in the city. Always associated gardens with the suburbs just need to go a few yards off the main streets to find these beautiful displays.

Crossing the road again and down Cresswell Lane. A lovely cobbled lane which contains de courcy's arcade of boutiques. Plus Beanscene, Bar Budda and Cafe Andaluz. I had never been down here before and I loved it. Actually looked even nice in the rain with the wet cobbles. Just for a moment was more like Paris than Glasgow.


Through Cresswell Lane and down onto Great George Street. Now yesterday I made a mention of the Big Top toy shop at Charing Cross. Well here is another fantastic real toy shop. Sentry Box Toys. Another place to go relive your childhood. :)

Wouldn't be a trip down Byres Road without this photo. The famous Curler's tavern. A tavern dates back to the 17th century on this site. The name comes from the fact that people played curling on the ice of a pond that used to be here. The pub also has a legend that it has a Royal Charter from King Charles II who stayed here.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curlers_Tavern




Which brings me onto Ashton Lane. Not sure what to say about Ashton Lane that not already been said. It's been called the Temple Bar of Glasgow which is not a bad description. Ashton Lane contains many bars, restaurants and a licensed cinema. And here is the ubiquitous photo of the Ubiquitous Chip restaurant and the Grosvenor cinema. The "Chip" is just one of the fantastics restaurants here. I'm sure I've jogged the memory of many a good night out amongst West Enders reading this. Feel free to leave a comment :)



Across Byres Road from Ashton Lane is Ruthven Lane. I had never been down here before and it has a lovely feel to it. A bit rougher round the edges than Ashton Lane has become. This is the Stravaigin Restaurant. It claims to have the best burgers in Scotland and I may just be back soon to test them on that.

And have to admit the name appealed to me. Seemd to describe this blog pretty closely. :)


Ruthven Lane also the home of the Bothy. Lovely traditional Scottish restaurant tucked away off Byres Road. Now it going to be a debate which one I go to first. The Bothy or the Stravaigin? Any suggestions?


Back now onto Byres Road. And had been told to look out for this building that I had never noticed before. I says Victoria Cross on the top and is seemingly a throw back to an attempt to rename the road Victoria Road but it got rejected by the local residents.



Final couple of photos about places to eat on Byres Road. Byres Road does have the most amazing selection of place to eat and drink. From chip shops, coffee shops, fine dining, Italian, Indian, Chinese... whatever you want. And by this point I was getting hungry.

But will just post up the Little Italy pizzeria cause I have some good memories of pizza with my best friend here.


And finally the Tinderbox coffee shop on the corner of Byres road and Highburgh Road. This has become as much a landmark on Byres Road as Curlers or the University itself!! :)

Well hope you West Enders out there have not been offended by this quick stroll down your street by a boy from the 'Burbs.

Byres Road has such a unique feel to it. The rainy day today actually just made it feel an even more special part of Glasgow.

Headed back towards Cadogan Street for more emails and calls but was a nice break to see some parts of Byres Road I had never discovered before. Will be back to explore some more.

Be well, be happy!!

1 comment:

  1. I used to work just round the corner from Little Italy, and still remember the awesome Chicken mayo and sweetcorn baguettes. Fantastic.

    ReplyDelete