Monday 15 June 2009

In a raintown, raintown, rain down...

The rain was really back this morning. I'm not talking about that spitting stuff, it was proper p***** doon. This is when you find out that when it says "showerproof" on your jacket that it was not tested in Glasgow. But I actually love rainy days. If you going to live in Glasgow got to learn to love rainy days. So set off as usual on my job hunt and hoped to get some interesting photos of Glasgow in the rain...

Buchanan Street. No buskers today. :)

Apple launch their new product for the Glaswegian market. The iShelter.


Told you I would be back to take this photo when it was p*****. No picnics on the grass today.

Glasgow does like it's shops. This one the only one that seemed appropriate today though.


The cafes in Royal Exhange Square that were buzzing last week, abandoned today.

The considerate weekend party goers had replaced Wellington's "hat" when they knew it was going to rain today.


By this time the rain was really sweeping in ...


So took shelter in this rather convenient Police box in Buchanan Street. Accidentally pushed a couple of buttons and ended up...


... here!!! The Kelvingrove Museum and Art Galleries. Not only that but in a Wizard of Oz style everything had turned to colour!!
(Ok, I was actually by this time really soaked through and decided to get the underground to the art galleries. There is only so much time even a Glaswegian that loves rainy days can walk about in the rain without growing gills. But for the sake of the narrative please just go with the whole Tardis / Wizard of Oz thing. Thank you. :) )
The Kelvingrove museum and art galleries is simply one of my favourite places in Glasgow. And it currently has a Doctor Who exhibition on. I'm not a huge fan of Doctor Who (well not since Tom Baker :) )but thought it was till worth having a look. Turned out to be a lot of fun ...

It is a very atmospheric exhibiton, beautifully presented with some really cool exhibits. The Cybermen are genuinely scarey.


As are the Ood...



And seeing these guys up close brought back childhood nightmares of watching Tom Baker as Doctor Who from behind a cushion!!


And wouldn't be a Doctor Who exhibition without the trusty K9!!
Though don't worry Rosie you are still my favourite Glasgow "The Day" dog!!
But the art galleries are not really about Doctor Who. They were originally opened in 1901 as part of the Glasgow International Exhibition and ever since have had a special place in the heart of all Glaswegians. I still remember being brought here on school trips. And since it has been refurbished it is even better. Here is where you can find information about it :
http://www.glasgowmuseums.com/

How to do justice to it in a few remaining snaps here ? I can't. Just a few wee highlights of my favourite bits.

View down the main art exhibition hall. I really do love the heads hanging from the ceiling with all different expressions. Has become a bit of an icon fot the art galleries now.


Knight at the museum?
The Conflict and Consequences exhibition. Some beautiful examples of arms and armour from around the world.



Duck!!! No these animals not actually being buzzed by low flying aircraft. And actually I think a duck is the only animal not here. The impressive animal collection underneath the amazing Spitfire hanging from the ceiling.


Guns don't kill people, Raptors do!!
The very scarey Velocipator. Every museum should have a scarey dinosaur skeleton. And Kelvingrove does not disappoint.



I said in a previous post about St. Mungo's that what is the point of art if it is not to make you feel emotion? This is a beautiful statue called "Motherless". Possibly my favourite exhibit at the galleries.


At 1pm the organ recital began. Once again a beautiful sound that filled the building. And once again a sound that made me realise that I had time travelled into the afternoon and I needed to head back to base camp to follow up some job hunting leads.
So it was Goodbye Yellow Brick Road and I jumped back into my trusty Tardis and went back to Cadogan Street.

The rain was finally going off and the sun came back out.

Glasgow was more colourful again.

But I really did love this rainy day in Glasgow.

2 comments:

  1. brilliant update - I've always loved the motherless sculpture. Almost makes me greet if I look at it for too long. Powerful stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree ... that Motherless sculpture is just too sad.

    I love the ishelter though :-)

    ReplyDelete