Tuesday 2 June 2009

Sitting in the back row of the movies...

This wasn't the plan for today. Maybe not a good statement for someone trying to push his skills as a project manager? :) But today's tour just took a mind of it's own and some days you just got to go where your heart takes you.

The plan was to go get my hair cut, meet my special friend Alexis for lunch in Sauchiehall Street and then tour down Sauchiehall Street on way to the Penna offices.

The first 2 parts of the plan went well. But then the tour turned into stroll down memory lane for old cinemas in Glasgow. Each one brought back happy memories of popcorn, kia-ora drinks and uncomfortable pop up seats.

Hope you enjoy this slightly different tour today...




Start with the biggest. In fact the tallest cinema in the world.
The shiney new Cineworld. A great cinema experience. Great view from the top. Been to see lots of movies here and really enjoyed it. But I not sure I love it the way I loved the old cinemas. That just another sign of getting old ? ... or just the others have so many memories?



Another view of Cineworld I took a snap of and liked. Old and new entertainment in Glasgow. The old building is the Pavilion theatre, built in 1904, overshadowed by Cineworld. The Pavilion always brings back memories of going to the Pantomime with my gran and grandpa at Christmas. Oh no it doesn't, oh yes it does!! :) Cities have to be dynamic and move on and Cineworld is a great addition to the city, but I hope it never truly overshadows the place the Pavilion should have in the hearts of all Glaswegians. But I'll do a theatre tour another day, back to the cinemas ...



Thought you said cinemas ? This is a book shop ?
Yes now it is a Waterstone's but to me it will always be the La Scala cinema, Sauchiehall Street.
Best memory of this was my big sister Elaine taking me to see Star Trek 2 : The Wrath of Khan here. I would have been about 13 years old and this was just such an amazing adventure. Thank you big sis!!
Other memory of the La Scala was the gold and red sign made out of little dog tags that used to move in the wind.
Sorry it's not a cinema anymore but it is a really good book shop in which I have also spent many hours browsing. And if you look closely at the picture they are doing a 3 for 2 offer on all books at the moment. Too tempting for someone with a love of reading like me ... :)


The ABC cinema, again in Sauchiehall Street. For me always the second choice of cinema after the Odeon. Although I have lost count of the number of movies I have watched here. Now it is a venue for shows and bands. I've seen a couple of gigs here and it is really good. And if you needed any proof that the Glasgow "The Day" photos are taken fresh today (not from concentrate) then check the date on the sign. :)


When I was growing up this was THE cinema. The Odeon, Renfield Street. This is where everyone queued twice round the block to see Star Wars or the new Bond Movie. Odeon One was amazing.
My favourite memory was going with my dad to see the Star Wars triple bill. All three of the original trilogy back to back. Surviving only on popcorn, hotdogs and fizzy drinks.
We booed when Vader appeared, we cheered when the Death Star blew up.
Unfortunately my dad died a number of years ago but hope somehow he knows that to this day I still remember that amazing day we shared.
This was also where I went with my wife on our first date. 30th May 1987. 22 years ago last Saturday.
This cinema finally closed down in 2006. Says on the sign it is going to be redeveloped into offices.
I know I said if I won the Euro lottery I was going to do the Rogano champagne thing. And I will cause a promise is a promise. But with the rest of the money I'm going to buy the Odeon and restore Odeon One to it's original glory. A theatre of dreams.

The Glasgow Film Theatre, Rose Street. A great place to go and see different movies and old classics. This is where I first saw "Blade Runner" and "Apocalypse Now" on the big screen. And you can't get much better than that. It is run as an independent charity. See their web site for more details: http://www.gft.org.uk/
And if you are worrying about the poor girl waiting outside looking worried that her date isn't turning up. She isn't. She is actually acting. There is a film crew across the road filming her and shouting instructions. Looked like students, Glasgow School of Art perhaps ? I so much wanted to ask them abut their project but they were deep into it and didn't feel fair to bother them. But if anyone reading this knows the crew and the story behind this picture then get in touch.
For more information on the history of these cinemas then look at:
Hope you enjoyed that little tour today. If you did then I have a task for you. Leave a comment about your favourite cinema memory. Even if it not a Glasgow cinema.
Thank you!!
The End

3 comments:

  1. My favourite cinema moment??? There's too many of them. Probably the most standout though is queuing to see Empire Strikes Back in Odeon 1. I was 7. We were pretty much first in the queue (which by ticket buying time was twice round the block) and I can't remember it that well - but I'll never forget *THAT* revelation and talking about it with my mum and dad on the way home on the bus. Happy days.

    The Grosvenor in the west end is well worth a visit - it has couches and sells beer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey - you missed the Jamaica St one ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I passed the Old Odeon for the 1st time in ages a few weeks ago and was gutted that it had closed. I'm never in the town. The new out of town multiplex's just dont have the character.

    ReplyDelete