Friday 5 June 2009

Falling in love with the old girl again...

“The Clyde made Glasgow and Glasgow made the Clyde”

That is how the old saying goes. Yet as I mentioned on a previous blog my Norwegian colleague KJ said to me before that Glasgow was the only city to turn it’s back on it’s river.
When I think of other cities I have visited then I had to agree with him. Somewhere along the line with the decline in the shipbuilding Glasgow seemed to lose touch with the old girl. But Glasgow is beginning to fall in love with it’s river again. More and more developments are happening along it’s banks. I featured the new Tradeston Bridge (or the "Squiggly Bridge" as it is now know) the other day but today was down in Finnieston and got chance to walk along the banks and take a few photos of some of the great developments that have been done to bring life back to this historic river.

I was actually in Finnieston to visit a really interesting company called Equator. Visit http://equatorlive.com/ if you want to see some of what they do.

My route took me from the Clyde Arc bridge all the way along to the Tall Ship and back.
I've been before to all of the sites I visited today but I've never walked along the banks between then. Was so peaceful compared to my Buchanan Street route yesterday. A totally different Glasgow. A lot of these images will be very familiar with Glaswegians reading this but hope you will enjoy just strolling by with me one more time.




A couple of different views of the Clyde Arc. (Commonly called the "Squinty Bridge" because it doesn't go straight across the river.) A beautiful new addition to the Clyde. And as you can see the clouds were out in Glasgow today. Just about now it started raining and my decision to leave my jacket in the car didn't seem so good. 40 years living in Glasgow and still don't get that when it's cloudy at some point it's going to rain!!


The Finnieston Crane. A sight we all associate with Glasgow. With lots of clouds. Another sight often associated with Glasgow. Did you know that this crane is actually officially the Stobcross Crane ?? Nope ? I didn't either ... go here and read on ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finnieston_Crane


A view down the Clyde showing the Crowne Plaza hotel, the Clyde Auditorium (The Armadillo) , Finnieston Crane and the Clyde Arc.


Crowne Plaza hotel and Clyde Auditorium. The Armadillo, as it is called for obvious reasons, is in my opinion one of the best pieces of modern achitecture in the city. I never tire of seeing it. And as you can see in the background the cloud is clearing ... blue skies ahead...


The Glasgow Tower reflecting on the Science Centre. Now honestly all the Glaswegians reading this. Have you ever gone up this tower ? No ? Well you should. If you were in Paris, Toronto, Seattle or even Blackpool you would go up their towers wouldn't you? So support your local tower!! On a good day the view from the top is fantastic.


Another view of the tower with the Imax cinema and the Science Centre. Once again I never tire of these buildings. Yet if you look back at my Virginia Street blog from the other day the achitecture is so different it could be from another planet. A great example of the mix of old and new in Glasgow. Wonder what people will make of these structures in 200 years time though? Will they still be here ? Another blog day may well go into the Science Centre and take some snaps to post up here. Well worth a visit if you never been. The planetarium worth the visit alone.


The Tall Ship. Or the Glenlee to give her her real name. Once again well worth a visit if you never been. Once you get below decks really get a feel for what it must have been like to work and live on these ships. Really interesting. http://www.glenlee.co.uk/

And as you can see the sun is back out. That's Glasgow for you. Four seasons in one day.
Got to love the rain and sun just the same if you live here.
Slower pace to the blog today. Hope you don't mind. Been a busy week. But a good week.
I really do recommend you take this walk along the river. Be one more person to fall in love with the old girl again.
But take a jacket ... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment