Monday 1 June 2009

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade

Monday. As Steve at Penna told me, Mondays are the most difficult days when you are made redundant. But you got to just dust yourself down and get on with it. And the sun was beating down on Glasgow so headed in there to see what was happening "The Day". Armed only with my trusty Glasgow survival kit of a bottle of Irn Bru, packet of hula hoops and a banana I walked a big circle round the city. From the bus station, through George Square, the Merchant city, down to the waterfront then back up to Royal Exchange Square then over to Cadogan Street. Took over 60 photos so can only post a small selection here. Some photos will put together for another selection of "little corners"(Note I did remember to charge up my camera this time. Live and learn!!) But here is what I saw in Glasgow "The Day" ...




Statue of couple embrassing in Buchanan Street Bus Station


Know this has been photographed many times but one more won't hurt. Really is a lovely statue and fits it's surrounding so well. Anyone who has said hello or goodbye to someone in this bus station can relate to the statue.

The official Glasgow "The Day"Survival Kit
Irn Bru, packet of Hula Hoops and a Banana. Photographed in front of City Chambers. But would it be enough to get me through?



George Square

Look at that blue sky!! Good just seeing people sitting out and enjoying the city. Will take another photo next week when it's p****** down and you can compare and contrast!! How do I know the weather next week? It's Glasgow. Trust me. :)

The Italian Centre

But now with added Italian weather!! One of the best places to hang out on a sunny day.



Carousel Girls
I couldn't resist taking this photo in Candelriggs. Just loved the image of the long line of black and white uniforms. And think it captures the fun of a sunny day in the city. Thank you to Carousel girls for letting me take their picture and officially being the first people mentioned in this blog. Hope you are reading this and like the photo!!!





The angel on the Tron Theatre. You know I've walked past this building so many times,been in it a few times and have never before noticed this angel. Was going to keep this photo for a "little corners" feature but I just loved it too much to wait. Going to dedicate this photo to the angels in my life that watch over me. You know who you are.




Slaters. Where every boy in Glasgow got his first suit. And reminds me I will have to go there for my new interview suit!!! It actually is a really interesting building. Took some close up shots for a "little corners" blog later.




The Suspension Bridge. The Clyde was so still today. Absolutely stunning. A Norwegian colleague of mine has said that Glasgow is the only city to turn it's back on it's river. And there is a lot of truth in that. He is a clever man. We don't make enough of our great river. Hopefully that will change with some of the new developments.



Memorial to those that fell in the Spanish Civil War. I really love reading history and I am ashamed to say I didn't even know that his memorial existed in Glasgow. It says underneath "Better to die on your feet than live forever on your knees". Quite a moving tribute. Glad I've found it now. Go see it if you are near the river.

Funnily enough while standing near the river I met a Spanish Jehovah's Witness who had lived in Scotland for 33 years and was married to a Polish woman. We chatted for a good 20 minutes about Glasgow and Spain and life in general. Just one of those amazing characters you meet on your travels.


The new bridge.
This was actually the main reason I came down to the waterfront. Wanted to see the new bridge up close. And was not disappointed. If the designer is ever reading this then can I just say you have done the city proud. It is a beautiful new addition to the Clyde.




Ok ... by this point had eaten the banana, drunk the Bru and was down to my last hula hoop... the sun was high above beating down without mercy ...

When an angel from Esquires coffee shop in Hope Street offered me a free sample of a cold, minty, smoothie drink and in doing so probably saved my life. In my book one good turn deserves another so here is Esquires Coffee shop. I encourage anyone reading this that is near Hope Street in next few days to go there and get the minty, smoothie thing. It is delicious and the staff are lovely people. You will not be disappointed.




Was actually at the end of my tour and heading home. My route was via Charing Cross station so decided to scout out some of the sights near Sauchiehall Street for another day. But found on the way Kate and Sofia (hope I got that right), students from the Glasgow School of Art, selling home made lemonade. Was just so unexpected in the middle of Glasgow and think this picture just says Summer. They were lovely people and I wish them luck in their studies.



And finally ... this picture slightly out of running order for the tour but thought the Evening Times summed up today nicely for me. Want to thank all the people I met that made today a very special one that I will always remember, the Carousel girls, the angel from Esquires Coffee shop, Kate and Sofia and the Spanish man.

As for the job hunting when I got to Cadogan Street? Went well today. Following up a few leads. Will keep you posted.

Be well, be happy!!!

3 comments:

  1. Loving your blog, Kenny! Just started reading today. Another little snippet of useful information: The angel on the Tron Theatre building is actually only half the sculpture which is called Scull, Angel (cannot remember by whom...) The scull is on the opposite corner (i.e. back left, if the angel is front right). It reflects on the building's current use as a theatre ("alas, poor Yorick...") and its former use as a church - clever, eh? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Kenny. And some great pictures. Really love the one of the girls selling lemonade.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah - it's Skull/Cherub by Kenny Hunter :-)

    ReplyDelete