Thursday 4 June 2009

Street Theatre...

Well firstly from the feedback I've been getting this blog seems to be being read around the globe now. So just like to say Hello World!!

Hope you are finding some of the blogs interesting. Do get back to me with any comments or feedback on places or things you would like me to go see in Glasgow.

Well the clouds rolled in this morning and the day started a bit grey. Though as I stepped off the bus it was me that felt a bit blue. (We all have those days.) So decided to just head straight down Buchanan Street. No clever winding path today. Didn't have the heart for it. But on the way decided to cheer myself up by watching some of the street entertainment. It worked ... and also taught me a wee lesson...

Now I said in one of my first blogs that Buchanan Street is one of the greatest streets in the world. One of the things that makes it great is all the amazing street performers that entertain the crowds. The selection I have photographed below are not even all the entertainers I passed on the way. And they were all fantastic. A full variety show just by walking down one street.

Also decided to go all "arty" and black and white on you today. I quite like these photos. I hope you do to.


First up and technically on Sauchiehall Street we had King Arthur's men. They were amazing and already had me cheered up before going any further. Didn't get a chance to speak to them but this seems to their page
http://www.myspace.com/kingarthursmen. I liked the way this picture turned out with the additional flag waving extra band member :)
Up next we had this talented young lad doing ball tricks. Has quite a crowd following him outside HMV. For me who's record for kicks in keepy uppy is 2 I was very impressed. (Don't let my name fool you into thinking I'm any good at football :) )

I liked this picture as well. This is the very definition of a busker. Once again a very talented guy. Listened to him for a while but could happily have listened all day.

Pipers. Well pipers are becoming a bit of a theme on this blog wouldn't be complete without them.

One of the others uses I wanted to make of this blog was to collect photos for me to use in sketching later. This is one for that.

I have seen Adrian from Adelaide a few times in my travels down Buchanan. He is an escaplogist as you can see and a real crowd pleaser. Has a very sharp wit and great line in put downs. And yes he does manager to escape from all this!!

Break dancers. These guys started to pull a big crowd outside TGI's. Fantastic. And I like the way this snap turned out with the whole of Buchanan Street in the background.


Another photo of the break dancers.

Pop. That's this guy's name. Pop. And he is making me a bendy balloon dalmation. Spoke to him for ages and he has an incredible life story to tell. He is one of the people that taught me something today. I often tell others that you need to enjoy and cherish every day. Life is precious. But sometimes I forget to listen to myself. Thanks Pop helping me learn that lesson again.


And here is actually one of the first people I met but I saved him for last. Not a busker but certainly entertaining the people of Sauchiehall / Buchanan Street. He is Papa Joe and he is using his amazing bike and a lot of charm to collect money for the Yorkhill Children's Foundation. A real character.

And another person that taught me something today. What right have I got to feel blue?
When you see the work that is done by the people at the Royal Hospital for Sick Children at Yorkhill then I should just give myself a right good slap for ever feeling sorry for myself. Papa Joe is out here making a difference for those kids.
So thank you to all the entertainers in Buchanan Street for cheering me up. And special thanks to Pop and Papa Joe for teaching me a lesson.

So if you have enjoyed reading this blog then please go to http://www.yorkhillchildrensfoundation.org/ and read about all the great work they do and even better if you can please donate any money you can spare to help them.
As for the weather?
The clouds did break over Glasgow and it turned into a lovely sunny day again. :)

2 comments:

  1. these are my favourite types of photos - the real characters and diverse types of people that make up Glasgow. You just know that there's so much history in the lines on the faces of folks like Pop, Papa Joe, the guy with the guitar, the woman with the squeezebox. Love reading this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too :-)
    The blog is great Kenny. Keep it up.
    All the street entertainers remind me of Quay Street in Galway - another great place for buskers and just a fab place to be when the sun shines, as it has been for the past week or so. And I think Galweigians can be a lot like Glasweigians ... a lot of great characters out there.

    ReplyDelete