Wednesday 10 June 2009

Helping to save a life round at Nelson Mandela's Place...

Straight down Buchanan Street today heading for Nelson Mandela Place. Papa Joe was back out collecting for Yorkhill. Made me smile.

But was heading to Nelson Mandela Place for a purpose... a man on a mission...


Now Nelson Mandela Place used to be St. George's Place but was renamed in 1986 to support the free Nelson Mandela campaign.
It has many amazing buildings not least is the Tron Church which sits in the middle...


This beautiful building was opened in 1808 and is still a parish church in the Church of Scotland. It is another building I never tire of seeing everytime I walk down Buchanan Street. It's one of the buildings in Glasgow that when I see it I know I'm home.



Nelson Mandela Place is also the home of the Glasgow Stock Exchange. This exchange dates back to 1844. Right next to a Starbucks, which with the way the stock market is currently, a strong coffee is definitely order of the day.
This Starbucks used to be the Nile Bar didn't it? Or is that me just showing my age :)


Another view of the Old Stock Exchange building. Has sculptures all the way round with each depicting one of the trades such as Mining, Engineering, Building etc.




The Atheneum. This beautiful building was built in 1886. It used to be the home of the Royal Scottish Academy Of Music & Drama. According to the internet the four single figures are the sculptor John Flaxman, the architect Sir Christopher Wren, the composer Henry Purcell, and the painter Sir Joshua Reynolds, all famous innovators of the British arts. The figure groups represent teachers with their pupils.
And it was my destination today.
In general Nelson Mandela Place is a fantastic square just to walk around and admire the terrific architecture and sculptures. But that was not the purpose I was here for ...



It was because I took this photo a few days ago in Buchanan Street. I have never donated blood. Always meant to but you always find a reason to do something else. And the truth is I was a bit scared. But doing this blog has encouraged me to do a lot of things I would not normally do. Would never normally have spoken to Papa Joe or got to meet the Carousel Girls.
I have every reason to give blood as well. People in my family have needed blood. I have kids myself, so the poster in Buchanan Street had hit home. And I know if I ever needed it I would expect it to be available. But it doesn't become available by magic.
So decided today to go donate. And the central blood donation centre in Glasgow is in Nelson Mandela Place.



So how was it? There was nothing to it. Actually found it really interesting. And it didn't hurt!!! The staff were lovely and look after everyone with such great care. Fantastic people doing a very special job. The other donors are so supportive. One person especially, when she found out it was my first time, kept giving me the thumbs up sign across the room. Had a lovely chat with her after and found out she had come with all her sisters to donate. She also told me to go to the Burrell Collection and Pollock Park as part of my blog. I will as a special thank you to her and her family.

So I will be back in Nelson Mandela Place soon to donate again. To everyone reading this that already donates blood then I'm glad to have joined you, sorry it took me so long and I look forward to meeting you down there. For anyone reading this that has thought about giving blood but never has then I encourage you to go. Few minutes of your time that could save a life.
You will get to see the beautiful buildings in Nelson Mandela Place...
And they will even give you a drink and a Tunnocks teacake!!
Now that's not a bad deal!!
See www.scotblood.co.uk for more information.
If you are reading this in another city or country then still hope you liked hearing about this historic part of Glasgow and perhaps it also encouraged you to give blood where you are.
Be well, be happy!!

1 comment:

  1. Genuinely well done Kenny, for giving blood.... although you have put me to shame.

    I used to be a regular blood-giver, and didn't miss a chance from 2003 until late 2007, but then I kind of fell out of the habit.

    No excuses now. Next time I'm in town I'll be donating. Thanks :/

    ReplyDelete