Friday 3 July 2009

Planes, trains and automobiles...

Got some positive movement on the job front today. So fingers crossed.

Looked like the weather was going to break today. Was forecasting showers so decided there was no time like the present to go to the Kelvin Hall to see the Museum of Transport as recommended by this week's quiz winner Lynsey.

Now the Kelvin Hall is another iconic building in Glasgow. It was seemingly built in 1927 as an exhibition centre and it really compliments the art galleries across the road. For me the Kelvin Hall still conjures up childhood memories of the Carnival and Circus at Christmas. Could still imagine that excitement today just looking at the building.

Of course the Kelvin Hall not an exhibitions centre since 1987 when it was changed to an internatinal sports arena and the museum of transport.
I've not actually been in this building since before then so was another new Glasgow experience for me today.
Although when I got there I thought that St. Tweet, the patron saint of Bloggers, had forsaken me because the fire alarm was sounding and the fire brigade turned up.




There was nothing else for it but to sit and wait and get myself another '99 ice cream from the vintage ice cream van outside. Nice touch.

Soon the nice firemen had sorted the issue and I had scoffed the ice cream (with extra sprinkles, raspberry sauce and a flake) and finally got to see inside.
Have to admit I really enjoyed this museum today. It is what it says, a museum of transport. But the presentation of the exhibits and the variety of what is there is fantastic. Posted up some of my favourite bits...

Here is the view across the main exhibition hall from the first floor balcony. This is where most of the larger exhibits like the trains and tram cars are presented.



First place I headed for was the Clyde Room which is full of large scale models of ships, most of which were built on the Clyde. Really is an impressive set of models of a really impressive set of ships. The detail on the models is stunning and it's only when you see all these big ships here do you get a sense of the scale of what the shipbuilding used to be like on the Clyde.
On a week when there were rumours about potentially more yards being closed it really is sad to think that this may be lost completely from the Clyde.

The ship posted above is just one nice example. She is the Empress of Russia and was built in 1913 by Fairfield Shipbuilding & Engineering Company at Govan. She used to work the Hong Kong to Vancouver route and broke the Pacific crossing record.




And then there are these 3 great ships of the Cunard line. Queen Mary (1934), Queen Elizabeth (1939) and Queen Elizabeth II (1967).

These mighty ships were all built at John Brown and Company in Clydebank.

This yard also built the Lusitania, HMS Hood and the Royal Yacht Britannia.

The last ship completed there was in 1972. Although I believe that this year they have reopened the big Titan crane at the site and you can travel up to the top. That may be worth a wee trip to Clydebank to see.




Some of the exhibits in the Clyde room are already being packed away for when the museum moves to it's new location next to the river. http://www.glasgowmuseums.com/venue/showExhibition.cfm?venueid=7&itemid=97




Outside the Clyde Room is the bicycle and motor bike exhibit. And they have a chopper bike!! This was the only bike worth having when I was young!!



And this is the oldest bike in the world made in about 1845 by Gavin Dalzell from Lesmahagow.


There are also some lovely motorbike and motorbike sidecar exhibits. But I actually came looking for this one. My mum had told me in the past about it. This belonged to my Gran and Grandpa's next door neighbour. My mum actually sat in this sidecar when she was young. I remember her saying that he was a shoemaker that used this bike to travel about doing business. He donated it to the museum in the '70's.


Another blast from the past. A Sinclair C5 electric car from 1985.
A visionary design before it's time or just a bit daft? Probably a bit of both.



Harley Davidson bikes just keep turning up on this blog. Think this is finally a sign that I should get one?? :)


Over from the bikes is an area which focuses on aircraft safety and has some very touching tributes to the Lockerbie bombing. Above is the painting Psalms of Shadows Opus 2 by Keith McIntyre from 1991. He has done a series of paintings inspired by this tragic event. This one is very haunting.



There are also 2 plaques listing all those killed in the bombing. The names at the foot of this one are of the 11 people killed on the ground in Lockerbie.
Really brought back memories of that terrible day.



Down the stairs now in the main hall and there are a number of this very impressive steam trains. Really are beautiful pieces of engineering.


But not all old trains... also had this brand new train which is coming into service in next few years.

Is there light at the end of the tunnel on my job hunt? Or is it just a train coming the other way?
We shall soon see.

Also have a variety of these old Glasgow trams on display. They just look so much more graceful than modern buses.


I really liked this statue. It's of a "angel" tram flying up to heaven. Represents the demise of the old trams in Glasgow.



Now onto the cars. The entire history of the motor car is on display in this museum. All makes, models and sizes. Just a few featured below...


This one caught my eye. It's the Hillman Imp. Sometimes referred to as "Scotland's car".
It was built from 1963 to 1976 in Linwood. About half a million of these were built but it was not a great success and the Linwood plant finally closed in 1981.
I remember driving past this plant when my dad took us down to Largs. All the cars lined up in rows.

This made me laugh. We used to call these police cars "a jam sandwich" for obvious reasons. I had forgotten all about that until saw it today.



And then saw this little beauty. My first car that I got when I was 17 looked just like this one. Same colour and everything.

The sign in the window says it all. That is so very true. NSJ597 X. That was my registration number. Still know it today off by heart. Can't tell you my current car registration but will never forget this one. Had some cool wee adventures in that car.
It even got totally burnt out after an electrical fault but managed to get it back on the road. Eventually the rust got her and there were so many holes in the side it looked like I had driven in through heavy flak. So the scrap man got her.
Gone for definitely not forgotten.

Memories of your first car ? Post up a comment.

And then I started getting scared. This is the spitting image of my second car!!! A Metro.
Same colour and everything!!
You know you are getting old when the first 2 cars you owned are now in a museum.
They now need to get a white Peugeot 106, a silver VW Golf and a Rav 4 and they will have the full set!!


And here is one for all the parents out there...
Edie McCredie's bus from Balamory.
Is it a school day or a play day today?
Hey, it always a school day on Glasgow "The Day"!!! :)


And finally ... no I haven't lost my marbles. Here they are here.
Saw these in the shop and once again had some happy childhood memories. I loved marbles as a kid. Seemed to remember them having names like "Clear", "Milkies" and "Rainbows". My Grandpa used to work in the steel works and he used to bring home the most amazing "Steelies" as the metal ones were called.
Was a day for memories.
Maybe it's a sign of age when a museum brings back memories?
But I enjoyed my little nostalgia trip today.
Thanks to Lynsey for the recommendation.
Be well, be happy!!

1 comment:

  1. My dad used to drive that polis car when he was a cop ... he recognised it when we were in there about 10 years ago & spotted the number plate.

    ReplyDelete